Detonating cord or fuse is a core of high explosives, normally PETN (pentaerythritol tetranitrate), enclosed in PP yarn, plastic sheathing (polyethene jacket) & natural & synthetic fibre for waterproofing. It is basically PETN in covering of textile, plastic & waterproofing material. The degree of tensile strength, abrasion resistance, & flexibility of each covering varies. It acts as a means for safe & quick initiation of detonator sensitive industrial explosives & provides a path for initiation of non-electric detonators.
• Relatively insensitive to detonation by heat, electrostatic discharge or other forms of electricity
• Excellent resistance to side penetration by oil or water/ Water & abrasion resistant
• High tensile strength
• Easy to handle and to tie into knots
• Easy identification due to different colours.
• Electronically & mechanically inspected.
• Assures reliable non-electric initiation.
• Safer to use as compared to any other blasting cap/ less risk in handling & loading
• Easy to connect branch lines
• Should be kept protected from water in a wet environment. Detonating cord doesn’t initiate if it’s wet, since PETN absorbs water and becomes insensitive to detonation. However, it can be initiated from the dry end.
• Detonating cord is an explosive, thus, should be handled and transported carefully at all times.
• It is sensitive to direct lightning strike and intense impact or friction while handling and extremely high temperatures (mostly above 70°C).